We are very excited to host a workshop by guitar master Pierre Bensusan. Come for one or both. The workshop is from 2:00-4:00 PM. The performance starts at 5:00 PM. The space is very intimate with an audience of only 30 people.
For this event please call the store in advance. Seating will be limited. Call (703) 335-5001 to reserve your spot. The workshop is $50.
Share this invite with your friends who enjoy world class guitar players.
About Pierre Bensusan (From his website)
Winner of the Independent Music Award, in the Live Performance Album category for his latest triple live album “Encore” (2014), “Rose d’Or” of the Montreux Festival for his first album, “Près de Paris” (Switzerland, 1976), “Best Worl…d Music Guitar Player ” par the readers of Guitar Player Magazine (USA, 2008), Pierre Bensusan is recognized as one of the premier musicians of our time.
If “World Music” is music that pays tribute to the spirit of a collection of human beings through distinct rhythms, traditional instruments and harmonic colors, French-Algerian guitarist, singer and composer Pierre Bensusan can be recognized as one of the most eloquent and world musicians today.
Born in Oran, French-Algeria, in 1957, when France was decolonizing its Empire, Pierre Bensusan’s family moved to Paris when he was 4. He began formal studies on piano at the age of 7 and at 11 taught himself guitar. Influenced in those early days by the folk revival blooming in Britain, France and North America, Bensusan began first to explore his own diverse musical heritage and then moved to the horizons beyond.
At 17 he signed his first recording contract, and one year later his first album Pres de Paris won the Grand Prix du Disque upon his debut at the Montreux Festival in Switzerland.
Described by the L.A. Times as “one of the most unique and brilliant acoustic guitar veterans in the world music scene today”, Pierre Bensusan was voted “Best World Music Guitar Player in 2008” by Guitar Player Magazine Readers Choice. His name became synonymous with contemporary acoustic guitar genius, long before the terms New Age, New Acoustic Music or World Music were invented. He has the ability to make a single guitar sound like an entire band as he brings the audience on a mesmerizing musical journey. And yet, Bensusan is more than what any musician or music lover expects from a guitarist. He is a composer as well as a bilingual and a brave improvisational vocalist, melding whistles and resonant low notes with something like his own scat technique.
There is a sense of something both playful and serious in his work, an unparalleled sense of freedom in his compositions and his improvisations. His “manner” of playing defies classification – crossing world, classical, jazz, traditional, folk and more. None can be isolated as simply “Brazilian”, “Arabic” or “French”; rather, they represent our world in its current state, a world sharing itself, fusing cultures together in ways we have never experienced. Not to be missed!
* Ards Guitar Festival Lifetime Achievment Award (Northern Ireland 2014)
* IMA Award for Best Live Album, for “Encore” (USA 2014)
* “Album of the Month for “Encore” in Guitarra Totale Magazine (Spain 2013)
* “Intuite” named second Best Acoustic Album of all times in Guitarra Totale Magazine (Spain 2013)
* Guitar Player Magazine Readers choice award, for 2008 Best World Music Guitar Player (USA)
* Intuite Awards – 2002 / 2006:
* 2002 AFIM (American Association for Independent Music) Award for Best Acoustic Instrumental Album
* Album du Mois/Album of the Month (Journal de Montreal/Canada)
* Album of the Year (fRoots/UK)
* Best Albums (Guitarist Magazine/UK)
* Bravo de la Redaction (Trad. Mag./France)
* Naird Award for “SolilaÏ” (USA 1983)
* Grand Prix du Disque Rose d’Or at the Montreux Festival for “Près de Paris” (Switzerland 1976)
Près de Paris (1975)
Pierre Bensusan 2 (1977)
Wu Wei (1993)
Live au New Morning/Live in Paris (with Didier Malherbe) (1997)
An Evening With International Guitar Night (2004)
“Encore” (2013) (triple album of live recordings)